Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Let It Snow!

One thing that Pam and I were looking forward to by moving back home to upstate New York was snow.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I dislike the stuff.  I hate driving in it, and shoveling it.  But from now until Christmas, it's just so darn purty.

When I was a kid growing up in the 50s and 60s, snow was never a problem.  We always had a white Christmas, with the snow starting to fly by Thanksgiving.  It hasn't been that way for a number of years, thanks to Al Gore's global warming.  But here in Bleecker, we have just enough latitude and just enough altitude that it doesn't seem to be an issue.

This was the view out the door yesterday.


So what's the deal with the screen door?  The frost heaves have it stuck there, partially open.  Nope, you can't close it, and you can't open it more.  I suppose I could take it off its hinges, but where would I put it?  That looks like a good place to store it to me.  Just walk around it.

Chevy, our Connecticut dog, doesn't seem to be liking snow too much.  When we let the dogs out to play, he's always the first one back in.  Surprisingly,  Olivia, our Georgia German Shorthaired Pointer, loves being outside, and the snow is no bother to her.


The view inside our wood shed.  Yep, we're getting pretty low on wood.  Yesterday, I stopped by R&R firewood on route 309 and ordered a cord, which will easily last us for the next month that we're here.  If not for my limited activities, I would have cut much more wood than we did.  If we were here for the full winter, we'd need five or six full cords to see us through.  A cord measures four feet wide, four feet high, and eight feet long.   What you see there is maybe a week's worth of wood, about a face cord.


Our "driveway".


Once the dogs are in for the night, they curl up on various pieces of furniture.  This is the dog couch.  They seem to like the dog couch.  It's rare that all three dogs share it though.


The cats seem to prefer our table.  Especially Leo Pard.


Today we're forecast for anything from rain to snow, from a little to a lot.  Right now, at 6:45 AM, it's 34 degrees, so I'm guessing that we missed the big snowfall and will get mostly rain.  It will be a yucky day.  A good day to chill, watch movies, and play on Al Gore's internets.  I might even research a bit about Al Gore's global warming.  These temperature swings are interesting.

5-Day Forecast for Bleecker, New York

Today: Rain/Snow, High: 39 F, Low: 19 F

Tomorrow: AM Snow Showers/Wind, High: 22 F, Low: 12 F

Friday: Partly Cloudy, High: 23 F, Low: 7 F

Saturday: Partly Cloudy, High: 24 F, Low: 19 F

Sunday: Cloudy, High: 35 F, Low: 25 F

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and we're having a few folks over for dinner.  I need to run off the mountain to fill a propane tank to make sure we don't run out halfway through cooking it.  Our little Unabomber gas stove runs off propane tanks, the same as you use for your gas grill.  Why don't we have a regular propane tank?  Because a propane truck could never navigate our Unabomber driveway.  Even the firewood guy was concerned about getting up and down it, and he has a four wheel drive truck.  I shamed him into it, though, when I told him that I do it with our Kia.

No comments:

Post a Comment