Friday, September 6, 2013

Rolling With The Punches

"Rolling with the punches".  That's an interesting phrase.  I have no idea where it came from.  But I'm guessing that it means that if you're going to get hit by a punch, so "roll with it" to lessen the impact.

I didn't roll so good when I was attacked by that demon tree, for sure.  Fell like a sack of potatoes is more like it.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade" is another.  Make the best of the cards you're dealt.

Man, I'm full of idioms today.  What's going on?

Pam and I are, if nothing else, flexible.  It's one thing I love about her.  When cruising on a boat you have to be.  There's always weather to be concerned about, and tides and currents.  You can't always be where you want to be, when you want to be.  And that's where we are now.

My broken neck bones means that we won't be living here in Bleecker this year like we hoped.  Dilly dallying architects saw to that.  We intend to get the foundation, well, and septic system done though, and I'm working on getting electric service at least to the pole at the end of our road.  Next year, we can make the basement livable and then start on the house itself.

So what will we do in the meantime?  I thought about launching Drift Away, but dealing with three dogs on board is very difficult, and even when I get this neck brace off, I'll probably be on limited duties.  So I think we're going to buy this motor home and head to Florida after the Christmas holidays.


No, just kidding.  This one.  It's an old class A "Bounder".




It even has a little tubbie.

Pam's brother Chip is selling this.  His wife will be returning from serving in Afghanistan in October and will be working in Washington DC.  Chip got himself a job at the Pentagon and right now he's in training in... are you ready for this?...  Brunswick Georgia.  He's selling off his house, motorhome, boat, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  If we buy his motorhome, it's win-win.  He sells the motorhome, and we're not living in a cardboard box under a bridge.

What about Drift Away, our trawler?  Why not just go back to the cruising life?  Pam and I both love the boat, and Drift Away is a great boat, but I think we've shifted gears and our focus is now on building our little farmstead.  If we were wealthy, I'd keep Drift Away.  But we're not.  We can't afford to do both.

If Drift Away is not sold, we'll visit it in Green Cove Springs and clean it up.  Some bone headed yacht broker showed the boat and left the hatch to the flybridge open.  It  got rained on for a few weeks and I've heard it's moldy and stinky.  Stench never helps when selling something.  Depending on my physical condition, maybe I'll even paint it and fix some of the interior paneling that's water damaged.

In the spring, we'll drive the motorhome back north and live in it on our property in Bleecker while building our house.  It would be nice to be on our property while working on it.  

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck,, when do you start the move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not 'til after Christmas. We'd like to spend the holidays with family, which we haven't done recently.

      Delete
  2. I think that is a great idea! The longer you can keep yourself still the better off you will be, working and tinkering with Drift Away and the dogs would be difficult at best. I think it sounds like a fine adventure!

    (thanks for visiting my little blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see we're not the only cruisers that are semi-intoxicated with the idea of living in a land yacht for a bit ... bummer about the tree attacking, I'm glad you weren't even more seriously injured. Sure emphasizes our belief to live every day to its fullest! Cheers! Jan & David

    ReplyDelete