Thursday, September 5, 2013

Leo Pard

We got Leo about a month ago.  He mysteriously showed up at Judi's and Earl's house.  Pam was taking care of Jeremiah the Horse when she heard meowing, and there he was.

We obtained two other cats about the same time, Sassy and Puss Puss.  Puss Puss went AWOL shortly after we got her, perhaps to look for a home without so many dogs.

Sassy and Leo Pard turned out to be great hunters.  They quickly cleared our Unabomber Cabin out of mice.  That's not the end of it though.  We live in the woods, surrounded by nature.  Yesterday, Leo was in his glory hunting anything that moved.  And, for some reason, he felt he needed to bring everything to me to show me.  First, it was grasshoppers.  He brought in at least a dozen.  It was OK though because he ate them.

But then he brought in a Chickadee, my favorite bird along with Friggin' Pelicans.  I wasn't too happy about that.

Then I caught him with a shrew.


I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between a mouse and a shrew, but shrews have long pointed snouts.

I may have saved the shrew.  Leo wasn't too interested in eating the shrew having filled up on grasshoppers and so was mainly just playing with it, tossing it about and pawing at it and such.  The shrew played dead.  I picked it up by it's tail and tossed it out the door, much to the dismay of Leo who frantically searched for it everywhere.

In house news, Pam and I are making new plans.  My neck injury has me totally out of commission for awhile, so even if we get the well drilled and the foundation poured, I can't finish it off.  That will have to be a project for next year.  Once we finalize things, I'll let you all know what we're doing, but rest assured that it will be typical for us.  

2 comments:

  1. I would think that the boat is out also.

    Good luck

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Leo Pard" Good one! I am glad he's a good hunter for you! Sometimes it's a bit gruesome to watch them play/torture the little critters, but I guess that's the way it goes. I could do without the sharing part though.

    ReplyDelete