Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Bannertown Fair 2013

One of the nice things about moving back home is reconnecting with old traditions.  Small town country fairs, complete with tractors, is a good example.  Such a fair is the Bannertown Fair held annually to raise money for the Mayfield, New York volunteer fire department.

I haven't had too many photo ops lately.  I've been too busy with our property.  I decided to take my camera along to see what I could get.

I need to start collecting tractors.  Just look at this baby.  Four wheel drive and an enclosed cab with heat and air conditioning!  It even has a stereo.

AM/FM stereo and air conditioning?  What is the world coming to?  Are we becoming that sissified?  Of course, that's what farmers probably said when they saw the first tractors as they hitched up their oxen.


I've considered, and am still considering, buying one of these saw mills.  I have lots of trees and plenty of time, but they're very expensive.  I don't know if I'd get my money's worth out if it.  Besides, any wood I'd cut would be green and need to be dried under cover for a year.  But what a cool toy tool!




This is County Judge Giardino.  He makes a large six figure salary and has for many years.  I even had to modify Fulton County's payroll software to allow for his six figure paycheck back in the early 1990s.  He's a volunteer fire fighter and serves hamburgers to raise money for his department.  He's one of the good guys.



Wheeeeee!






If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!

These girls were just adorable!

Tom, on his Army Tribute Bike.


Born to be wild!

How do I make this thing go faster??

An odd pair, I thought.

Note the ball.

I didn't have the heart to tell him.  Especially because he's running for re-election and still doesn't know how to spell his job.





No, I didn't go on any rides.  I can bleed a diesel engine in six foot seas off Sandy Hook without getting queasy, but spinning rides would make me hurl.

Oh, and we did work on the property too.

Pam's grandson Nate.  He loves tractors and heavy equipment.  He's three.

Earl.  He loves tractors and heavy equipment.  He's 82 on the outside, three on the inside.



Earl was in the middle of a dig when his seat let go, dropping him a couple of feet.  He called it quits after that.  He had enough of that shit for the day.

Bessie.  Poor Bessie.  She's leaking hydraulic fluid from her cylinders and from a crack in a pipe.  Her right front tire has a leak and needs to be pumped up every few days, and it wobbles badly.  It probably needs new wheel bearings.  I need a rainy day to do some tractor repairs.

And so it goes on Bleecker Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment