Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sand Island Party

The blog is a little like the butcher who backed into his meat grinder.  I got a little behind in my work.

Saturday, the day after I was attacked by a nine inch nail (not the band), we went to an island party on the Great Sacandaga Lake to celebrate Judi's birthday (Judi is Pam's mom, Earl's wife).   I was going to stay home, but Pam would be worried about me being home alone, and besides, we didn't have any power.  No DVD movies, and no internet.  So I decided to go and hobble around on crutches as best I could.

Just a few miles down the road, we discovered why we had no power.  Look closely at the photo.  Our side of the tree had no orange warning cones.  On the other side, the cones were placed right next to the tree.  Cripe, if you couldn't see that big tree in the road, you certainly wouldn't see those orange cones.  I think those orange cones should have been placed down the road a bit.


We arrived at Andy and Tracy's camp (Pam's brother and sister-in-law) at 9:30, the same time as Earl and Judi.  It's a momentous occasion when Earl leaves the mountain.  He did it only because it was to celebrate Judi's birthday, but he wasn't going to have a good time and nobody was going to make him.


Things were being set up just after we got there.  It was going to be a seafood feast with steamed clams, crab legs, shrimp, and all the stuff that goes along with it like corn on the cob and potato salads.

Andy's boat was anchored in shallow water just off the beach.  Earl didn't bring a bathing suit.  Neither did I, but I don't care if my ass gets wet.  Earl does.  But Earl was on the boat and the party was on the beach, so in he went.  I couldn't hear anything he was saying, but I'm sure it was along the lines of "I don't need this shit."


Or, I'm too old for this shit.  That's one great thing about being 82.  You can say you're too old for just about anything and people will accept it.

Judi was limited to just one drink, a bloody mary.

Earl checking out the sailboat.

Earl and Tracy assembling a BBQ grill while Kim offered encouragement.  Copper the Min Pin (miniature Doberman Pinscher) couldn't care less.

I parked it and put my swollen foot up on a cooler packed in ice.

Tracy and Kim rinsing the clams.  At this point, Copper did care, as you can see.

Pam.

Earl gets a kiss from Kim for putting the grill together...

and then goes for a ride on Rick's Jetski.

Is that a smile...?  Naw.

Andy taking a photo of Pam taking a photo of Andy.

A boat from New Jersey enjoying the lake.

Earl trying his darndest not to have fun.

Pam meets Copper.

A one legged duck.

Looking north towards Northville.  Those are the Adirondacks in the distance.

Me trying to enjoy the view.  I almost managed a smile.

Looking north at the Edinburgh channel.

Today is Tuesday.  Day four since being attacked by the nine inch nail.  My foot is still swollen but I can put a little weight on it, so I don't think it's broken, only sprained.  I'm most worried about infection.  I'm taking antibiotics but I don't know if it's enough to keep up with all the rust and germs that must be up in that puncture wound.  Our phone is still out (this is Bleecker) so I can't call my doctor.  Maybe I'll just drive over there, see what she thinks.  Or maybe I'll just wait and see.   With no health insurance, one doesn't run to the doctor willy nilly.  But a hospital stay would be financially catastrophic.

1 comment:

  1. It's great having you back Dave! Hope the foot heals quickly and the infection is non-existant.

    So I'm guessing you used the foot as your excuse for not water skiing. Very weak Dave. The old Dave would have done it anyway.....

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete