Saturday, May 31, 2014

Its Always Something

When Gilda Radner was battling cancer, she wrote a book called "Its Always Something", a line from her character Roseanne Roseannadanna on Saturday Night Live.  She was in remission from ovarian cancer and wrote her autobiography.

We were going great guns on our Bleecker property last year until August 27th.  I was felling a good sized tree.  I notched it and back cut it, and then turned off my chain saw and set it on the ground.  I pushed the tree over with one finger, and as it started to fall, I stepped back and to the side in case it kicked.  The vibration from the fallen tree shook loose a "leaner" to my left.  It too fell and hit me smack on the head.  I was knocked unconscious.  For how long, I don't know.  When I awoke, I was completely paralyzed.  All I could move was my eyes.  After some time, I regained feeling in my legs and left arm.  I got up and walked out of the woods to our screen house, where I sat drinking beer until I had enough feeling in my right arm to shift Pam's Miata and drive home.

I had a broken neck, fracturing two vertebrae.  I had a concussion to boot.  I spent six weeks in a neck brace.  My neck healed, and the only apparent side effect was numbness in the thumb and index finger of my right hand.  I didn't have much of an appetite either, and my food consumption was considerably less than before the accident, especially dinner.  Then, over the course of time, I noticed memory lapses.  Not the I-can't-remember-where-I-put-my-glasses kind, but the sort where I could watch a movie, and a week later not remember what it was about.

Physically, things started to happen.   My right foot became numb around the toes, and then started to ache. Is the bunion I've had for years acting up?  Then, about a month ago, my right shoulder started to ache, just like it did when I had a torn rotator cuff and had to have it operated on.  Gradually, I began to lose strength in my arm to the point where I have a hard time shaving and washing dishes.

I visited my doctor in Caroga Lake for my annual physical, which included a blood test.  Later in the day, she called the Unabomber Cabin.  Doctors never call with good news.  It seems that my B vitamin levels are low, especially B-12.  This can not only affect memory, but somehow can be related to my numbness issues.  She recommended vitamin supplements, which I'm taking.   I went to the local hospital for more in-depth tests and in the meantime Pam is giving me B-12 injections.

So it doesn't look like much is going to happen on the Bleecker property since I don't think that I can swing a hammer very well.  I'm going to have a go at building a 10 x 15 foot ground level deck to see how that goes, but I think a barn or house is out of the question for awhile.

Its always something.

4 comments:

  1. We are both lucky we can still walk. Ever since I broke my back I have had numbness in my left foot..
    Get'n old don't help either!!

    Be well-- Kurt..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems there's a message in this for you, but..what?
    my mother developed pernicious anemia (a B-12 deficiency) in her sixties...she was told it's More prevalent in blue eyed Northern European populations. Dr Katrinka would recommend whole grains, legumes and good fats like avocado and nuts - and less fats and sugar. Maybe you have developed a fear of rogue trees? Have you ever had deep tissue massage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally eat healthy. No processed foods, no sugar, no fats, and no salt. Since the accident, I dropped from 195 pounds to 175, although I'm back up to 180. This is a good weight for me.

      And yes, to be honest, it looks like all trees are leaning my way.

      I've had a deep tissue massage once, about 30 years ago. What would that do for me?

      Delete
  3. You can still sign a check can't you? Hire a contractor and have the house built! Jack and Connie can probably give you some names.

    ReplyDelete