Saturday, May 18, 2013


We arrived in Bleecker mid-afternoon.  After several days of packing and driving, both we and the dogs
had enough.  We spent the night at Pam’s folks house and relaxed.  The next day, Friday, we tackled the cabin.

The “driveway” is no more than a rutted path through the woods.  If you didn’t know exactly where to
look, you would never find it.  The Kia Sorento has great ground clearance, but the hitch on the U-Haul
trailer was only a few inches off the ground.  I knew I’d never be able to get in there, but dad-in-law
Earl’s truck could, so we jacked the U-haul off Audrey the Kia and put it on the truck.  Earl towed it over to the cabin’s driveway and surprisingly decided to back it down the narrow, twisty one tenth of a mile long road.   He did it well, much better than I could have.  It would have taken me several days to back down there.  Pam followed in Audrey while I gave directions to Earl.  He really didn’t need them, but it made me feel useful.




Here’s our first view of the cabin.


It’s certainly very rustic, and like many Adirondack cabins is a work in process, but it will suit our needs well.  It’s less than a mile from our property.  We unloaded the trailer into the cabin, which was a much easier process than loading it.






I like how the owner made clearance for the ceiling fan over the stairway.



The back of the cabin.  I called the owner and left a message asking if it would be OK to cut the small
trees growing up around it.



The dogs were exhausted.  For the first time, Olivia was able to run free all day long, which she did.  As a hunting dog, she had plenty of things to hunt.  Rodents and small birds, mostly.  I don’t know what she’s going to do when she sees a bear or deer.


We awoke early.  It was chilly, much cooler than the Georgia and Florida weather we left.


That’s right.  28 degrees outside.  I cleared boxes away from the woodstove and started a fire to take the chill off.


I have no internet access here at all.  No cell service, no cable TV, no telephone lines, no nothing.
Verizon claims there’s a cell tower only four miles away, but even on the second floor of the cabin I get zero bars.  I’ll call them today to see if I can get an answer.

Pam is off to the city (Gloversville, population 15,000) to pick up some odds and ends.  I set up a little
table in the spare bedroom, which is now a storeroom, to use for an office.  I set up my laptop so I can write this blog in MS Word and then just copy and paste it while sitting in Audrey where there’s cell service.

The rest of today will be more unpacking and getting ourselves set up in the cabin, and then we’ll figure out what we’re doing with this.


This is our land, just down the road from our cabin.  I need a bulldozer.

1 comment:

  1. Looks comfy! Must feel like another planet - land vs sea...

    ReplyDelete