Sunday, May 26, 2013

Did you grow up in the 50s? Book Recommendation.

I'm a baby boomer.  I was born in the 1950s.  It was a wonderful time to be a child, and yet a scary one.  It was wonderful because of the marvel of technology, such as television.   Soon we'd even have flying cars!  But it was scary because of the threat of nuclear holocaust.

If you're a homesteader, living a rural life far removed from many modern conveniences, chances are that you read more than average.  While I do the vast majority of my reading on the internet researching things I'm interested in, I occasionally read books.  You remember those, right?  The original laptop?

An old friend and fellow blogger, Bob of Rensselaer Plateau Life, recommended A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson.  I enjoyed it immensely (thanks Bob!).  Bryson has a captivating, humorous writing style that's easy reading and difficult to put down.  While I suggest you read A Walk In The Woods, if you're a baby boomer I strongly recommend that you read The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.  It's Bryson's memoir of his childhood, appropriately exaggerated and enhanced.  It is laugh out loud funny, especially if you remember bomb shelters, Sky King, and comic book superheroes.

In Bleecker news, the past couple of days was certainly bleak.  Cool and rainy, making doing anything outside miserable.  But I did go outside to address this.


It's the road down into our place.  The puddle isn't the biggest problem here.  Follow the "road" up to where it turns right and climbs steeply.  It's not a road, it's a mud slide.

We had cut many small scrub pines down around the house, so I decided to limb one of the bigger ones and use the branches to lay in the muddiest parts.  We still didn't try to go anywhere yesterday, but we may today.  I arranged to buy an old Vermont Castings Resolute woodstove off a fella on Craig's List and may go pick it up today if I can get out of the driveway.

I also want to go look at this.


It's a 1954 Massy Ferguson TO-30 tractor with a bucket!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the plug and the memories of Thunderbolt Kid. It REALLY is a laugh-out-loud book if there ever was one. Actually, for a very similar LOL book, I highly recommend "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman!" -- I guarantee it!!!

    ReplyDelete