Thursday, March 26, 2015

Bleecker Mountain Atomic Hotsauce

By now most everyone knows of my Bleecker Mountain Atomic Horseradish.    If you can get a fresh root, it is sooooo good.  I just made a batch a couple of days ago.  I use only horseradish root and vinegar.  No sugar, no salt.  

I thought I'd try my hand at something new.  Hotsauce.

21 Serrano peppers chopped up into thin slices.

1 1/2 tablespoons of minced garlic.

3/4s of a cup of thinly sliced onion, 3/4 teaspoon of salt (yes, I used it for my first batch), and one teaspoon of vegetable oil.  I put this all into a sauce pan to saute it.   I then googled "saute", got out a fry pan and dumped it all in there.  Saute for three minutes, and then add two cups of water.  


Saute for 20 minutes until almost all the water is gone, and then let it sit to warm up to room temperature.   Chop everything up in a food processor, the same one I use for my horseradish.  Add a cup of distilled white vinegar.   When you realize the small food processor is too small, get a bigger one and dump everything into it.  Add the vinegar that wouldn't fit in the small one.  Puree' it.

Dump it into a sieve with a large capacity vessel underneath.  We don't want spillage of atomic hotsauce.   When you realize your Mason jars are too small, get the oldest bottle of salad dressing out of the refrigerator and dump it out.  Wash it real good.   


After filling the salad dressing bottle, mark a date two weeks into the future.  That's when you can use it, and it is good for six months.

Pam tasted a dab of it off her finger.  "HOLY COW DAVID!", she said, only she didn't use the word cow.  Hey, this is a family friendly blog.

A new star is born.  Bleecker Mountain Atomic Hotsauce.

UPDATE - I chickened out and put the hotsauce in glass Mason jars to ferment for two weeks.  In the meantime, I'll look for an appropriate glass bottle.

2 comments: