Sunday, November 2, 2014

Gymkhana Photos

Pam and Jeremiah the Morgan went to a gymkhana at Westwind Farms in Johnstown yesterday.  So did I.  For as long as I could.  It was a bit chilly and I thought it would be held in their indoor arena.  Out of the wind.  It was not.  My fleece jacket provided some warmth, but not when the wind blew.  Still, I lasted for almost two hours before I had to leave because my hands hurt (arthritis) and I started to shiver.

Many photos came out blurry due to the shivering, but many came out OK.  Like this pic of redneck bar stools.


Pam unloading Jeremiah.  Whut you lookin' at?


I love the "chrome" on this Westwind's horse.


What's new pussycat?  Oh, uh wah uh way oh.


Jeremiah just noticed a HUGE bull with HUGE pointy horns in a pasture next to the corral.  Reverse!  Reverse!


This handsome guy was not the concern.


He was.  Jeremiah refused to go anywhere near the corner of the corral nearest to this bull.




Ugliest woman I've ever seen.



A gymkhana has fun events, like riding your horse to a bucket and bobbing for apples.  No germ-a-phobes here.


The look on his horse's face is priceless.


Pam.  Insert wise-ass comment here.


Sometimes the camera freezes the action at the worst possible time.  Or the best, if you're not her.


Jeremiah. I'm ready for my close up, Mr. De Mille.




Bobbing for apples, or wretching?


This cutie is only 2 1/2 years old.  The little girl, not the pony.  Isn't she adorable?  Her feet don't even reach the stirrups.







Aren't these horses beautiful?  Horses love having a job to do, and once they figure out what that is, stand back!



I love this next shot.



The men are all handsome in upstate New York.  The women, not so much.


Passing the corn cob in the relay race.  Nope.  Jeremiah's not going over there.  The bull is over there.


No problem running the other way, though.


The ol' carry-the-eyeball-on-the-spoon-without-dropping-it game.



It was a lot of fun to watch.  And probably participate in.  Just as I was getting set to get in Pam's little Miata, start it, and crank the heat while going home, look who shows up!


Yup.  You guessed it.  I've set up cameras all over around the Unabomber Cabin and on our land, pointed in every imaginable direction, and have only gotten pics of our dogs, one of Judi's cats, and Pam and I.  Then I go to a gymkhana and there he is!  And he stood right next to me, sipping beer through a straw!  


He seemed friendly.



3 comments:

  1. I'm love this post...and can practically hear the horses-great action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pics Dave! Jeremiah is one good looking horse!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremiah is a good looking horse, even for a Morgan. He's a descendant of Justin Morgan's original horse. It's too bad he's such a weenie. Afraid of a bull, indeed.

      Delete