Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Health Update

I'm not one to prattle on and on about my aches and pains, mainly because I'm prone to whacking my head on stuff all the time and it would get tiresome for you all.  But I haven't updated the blog for a few days and I thought some of you might be wondering what's going on, which is not much.

I got whacked upside the head with a tree last August, a fight that I came out on the losing end.  I fractured C6 and C7 vertebrae, requiring a couple of days  in the hospital and the wearing of a neck brace for  a couple of months.  When my doctor back then recommended a nerve conductivity test, I asked if it could wait until after the 1st of the year because that's when I'd finally be covered by insurance.  His response was to get up and walk out of the room.

Well, everything was going along well until a couple of months ago when I lost 90% of the use of my right arm.  I had a slew of tests done and my new neurologist recommended an operation to clean things up in my neck and to fuse a couple of vertebrae together.  I had that done two weeks ago, but it was more than a couple of vertebrae, it was C2 through C7.  It was worse than he thought.

I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, having lived with lower back issues for most of my adult life, but this one is different.  The pain is getting worse over time, not better.  So yesterday Pam drove me to see the neurologist's PA.   She checked  out the incision and xrays.  She was amazed at all the work I had done, and at the low level of pain medication prescribed and upped them all, saying that I've been under-dosed.


Not a pretty sight, eh?

I was up until 4 AM last night, waiting for something to kick in so I could sleep.  I finally fell asleep, but back up at 7 AM to check Al Gore's internets and to re-dose.  I don't think these pills are doing much better than the old ones.

So, bottom line, I'm not doing much to blog about.  I can't drive, and Pam has extrapolated that to include Bessie the Tractor, even though the doctor did not include tractors in the written instructions.  I can't  lift more than five pounds, which covers the majority of our primary Bleecker crop.  Rocks.

So that's been Bleecker Mountain Life lately.  Eating (which is difficult because I can't swallow), sleeping (next to impossible), and correcting people's misguided political views on Facebook (which is surprisingly difficult).  But, on the bright side, this is now my breakfast.


I remember watching "the Jetsons" as a kid and thinking how cool it would be to simply take a pill for a meal.  Its finally come true

4 comments:

  1. That sucks Dave!!! Did the doctors note say anything about riding 4 wheelers? Or maybe a jet ski? Pam would probably nix those too...... Guess you'll just have to sit back, relax and be bored. Only way it's going to heal. Easy for me to say............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you Dave... hoping this thing goes in the right direction asap. Don't give up on correcting misguided political views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fwiw, a recliner can be easier to sleep in than a bed...(perhaps one with soft restraints?)
    Your job now is to recuperate. Hang in there and watch the birds, clouds, and bumble bees. Green smoothies for dinner? Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dave,
    I been busy and haven't checked on you in a while. Really sorry to hear about the pain thing.
    You may not be able to drive, but you can still write.
    Hang in there, Dude. Get well soon.
    -bt

    ReplyDelete