Sunday, June 15, 2014

Post Hole Digger

Pam and I hied ourselves to Tractor Supply in Gloversville today to buy a post hole digger for Bessie the tractor.  We bought four apple trees and a few blueberry bushes that need planting.  Since I wanted a post hole digger anyway, this was as good a time as any to buy one to help with digging the holes.



The pic above was snatched from Tractor Supply's website since I (again) left my camera home.

We got it and the apple trees home in Jeremiah's horse trailer.  Since I can't lift much of anything, Pam and I assembled it together, she providing the needed muscle.  As it turns out, my PTO (power takeoff on the tractor) is 1 1/8" and the drive for the auger is 1 3/8".  The gearbox also has no gear oil in it.  So, we couldn't plant the trees.  Tomorrow Pam or I will hie ourselves back to Tractor Supply to get the PTO adapter and gear oil.  It would be nice if the sales clerks knew something about what they were selling and could have sold us everything that we needed.

This should save us a lot of work digging, not only for the trees but for concrete pilings for the barn and such.  And I suppose I should buy a few spare shear pins seeing as how Bleecker is nothing but rocks.


2 comments:

  1. Do you have to have a certain type of license to get a piece of equipment like this? Is it hard to use? I have been wanting to do some landscaping in my yard and I could use one of these. It would be so helpful for planting trees!
    Gary Puntman | http://www.arkansastools.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, I've been wanting to get one of these also. I don't think you need any kind of license to use it unless you're doing it commercially. I'm hoping to get digger like this soon so I can put up a fence around my property.
    -Seamus | http://www.diggawest.com.au/products

    ReplyDelete