Saturday, December 22, 2012

Bleecker Statistics

Bleecker, New York is where Pamela and I will be putting down roots in 2013.

Bleecker was first settled around 1800.  It is an area of 59.5 square miles.

Population peaked in 1860 at 1,060 and it's been downhill ever since.  The 2000 census found 573 people.  According to the 2010 census, the population of Bleecker was then 510 people.  63 people moved on.

That's a population density of 8.57 people per square mile.  At this rate of decline, no one will live in Bleecker by the year 2095.  I would be 145 years old, so I don't suspect I'll be there, and so I won't care and won't be there to ruin the trend.

The entire town of Bleecker is located within the Adirondack Park, the largest park in the United States at almost 6 million acres.  It is made up of both publicly and privately owned land.  Many folks object to the restrictions imposed upon them by living inside "the blue line" but few would move anywhere else.  As for me, I like zoning restrictions.  It means that a waterslide park won't be built next to me.

I dislike waterslide parks.


4 comments:

  1. " I dislike waterslide parks "

    Your weird !!! LOL

    Bill Kelleher

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean-- You own about 22% Of Bleecker....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No, not really. Just a little tiny piece of it.

      Delete