Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Frost

For my friends here in upstate New York, frost is a non-event.  They might groan a bit because they have to scrape the frost off their windshields before driving off, but other than that, it is a non-event.  Not so in the south, of course.  In South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida frost is a non-event because it doesn't happen.  Not often, anyway.

Pam and I made many friends while traveling south, many of whom stay down there.  Patti even gave Pam a winter coat, knowing that she would never put herself in a situation where she would ever need it again, as she and Rod cast off their dock lines to head for the Panama Canal.

As for me, I enjoy the colder weather.  Yes, it was wonderful getting away from it for a couple of years, but I've found the cold weather of late to be bracing.  And photogenic.





With the yellow light given, I've been trying to get back into the swing of things.  Pam and I did some chores at our property yesterday, with me keeping in mind my doctor's admonition to ease into things.  We took down our screen house coverings, got the generator started and charged the tractor battery, and put 39 bales of hale in the loft.  Not a big deal, but afterwards, I couldn't move.  Two months of total inactivity has sapped my strength and flexibility, it seems.  I need to get back into the routine of working, followed by victory beers, a proven system that has worked for me in the past.

Oh, and for you Earl fans, yes, he was right in the thick of things, working away like a 23 year old.  You can remind him that he's 83, and he'll probably respond with some kind of "I don't need that shit" statement.

While I'm still learning how to enjoy each and every day of my retirement, Earl has it down to a science.  He has the right mixture of work and just sitting, puffing his pipe.

It is the season of cooler weather.  Here is our forecast...

5-Day Forecast for Bleecker, New York

Today: AM Rain/Snow Showers, High: 50 F, Low: 37 F

Tomorrow: Showers, High: 57 F, Low: 54 F

Friday: AM Rain/Wind, High: 62 F, Low: 42 F

Saturday: Few Showers, High: 55 F, Low: 35 F

Sunday: Mostly Cloudy, High: 41 F, Low: 25 F

No comments:

Post a Comment