Friday, January 18, 2013

How To Books

Ever since I discovered the public library in Waterford, New York where I grew up, I've been a fan of books.  Although I enjoy novels, I'm particularly fond of "How To" books.  When I was a kid, I read books about everything from bicycling to fly fishing.  The librarian, Mrs. Lavender, was a very nice lady and always had a big smile for me.   I loved that small library, and Mrs. Lavender.

I intend to do most of the building of our little place in Bleecker.  No, I've never built a house before, but not knowing how to do something has never stopped me in the past.  I didn't know how to build computers when I opened my own business 20 years ago, but I went on to become one of the largest computer dealers in the Albany area.   Maybe sometimes not knowing how to do something is good since you haven't learned any bad habits yet, and you're extra careful.  Besides, Bleecker's building inspector will make sure that I don't do anything too stupid.

These are some of the books we've ordered to learn what we need to know.


Back to Basics was a Christmas present from my daughter and son-in-law.  It's a great book, subtitled A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills.  It covers things like working land, generating energy, raising livestock, harvesting crops, and crafts.

MiniFARMING- Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre is for Pam.  She'd like to have a large garden, enough for ourselves and perhaps some to sell at the local farmers' market.  I told her that I'll do the building if she does the growing.

The Complete Guide to Food Preservation is also for her, with "step by step instructions on how to freeze, dry, can, and preserve food".

The Homesteading Handbook is a belt and suspenders book.  It covers topics in the others, but also includes keeping chickens and herbal medicine.

Finally, there's Habitat for Humanity's How To Build A House.  I looked at the Dummy's book, but I think this one has better illustrations.  Besides, I once belonged to Habitat for Humanity and I think it's a great organization.   It says it's "the perfect book for anyone who wants to build a simple, energy-efficient home without spending a lot of money."   That would be me!

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to start reading.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Dave.

    I wish more people built their own houses. It used to be more common but regs and more complicated buildings have made owner built houses more rare.

    I built my first house when I was 23 and it taught me a lot. And it interested me enough to get into it as a career. The more study you do, the less mistakes you'll make. And we'll be here to keep an eye on you. :)

    ReplyDelete